Who doesn’t like the light, sweet, and fluffy Cool Whip that automatically enhances the look and taste of an array of desserts? This American brand of imitation whipped cream works as a delicious frosting for cakes, pies, and cupcakes. You can even use it as a fruit dip, given its delightful and soft consistency.
But with its limited usage and expiration date, you might find yourself wasting a lot of it. However, you can avoid such circumstances by freezing it as such a technique can help you preserve it for 3-4 months.
The secret lies in the storage as well as the thawing technique. We suggest reading ahead if you want to learn the correct way to store Cool Whip.
How to Freeze Cool Whip?
The secret of keeping the quality of a cool whip intact lies in its thawing method. However, before we get to that, we shall explain a brief way to freeze Cool Whip.
- Transfer the Cool Whip to an airtight container or bag.
- Seal it properly to avoid any water drainage.
- Place it in the freezer.
You can also try an alternate method.
- Take an ice cube tray and fill it with Cool Whip.
- Place it in the freezer for a few hours, depending on your refrigerator’s settings.
- Once it freezes, place the cubes into an airtight container and bag.
Precautions to Take When Freezing Cool Whip
Before you get started with freezing your cool whip, it is necessary to undertake a few precautionary measures:
1. Ensure that the container is tightly sealed to prevent cool whip from coming in contact with moisture. The absence of a tightly sealed container will end up making your cool whip watery.
2. Do not place your cool whip near ice crystals as it will cause clumps.
How to Thaw Frozen Cool Whip?
Now, it is time to thaw the frozen Cool Whip.
We have elaborated on a few ways that we consider best and most effective for thawing Cool Whip.
1. Thawing Cool Whip in Cold Water
We suggest trying this method if you are short on time and the pies can’t wait to be embellished with Cool Whip. In addition to that, this method is practically risk-free.
- Start by filling a bowl with cold water.
- Remove the frozen Cool Whip container from the freezer and wrap it with food wrap.
- Submerge the container in the water and let it sit for 45-50 minutes.
- Take it out as soon as it softens.
- You can also place the Cool Whip under cold running water. This will defrost it within 35-40 minutes.
2. Thawing Cool Whip in a Microwave
Yes, we know we said that thawing Cool Whip using cold water is the most time-efficient way. The following method will contradict our statement.
But thawing Cool Whip in a microwave is risky. There are high chances of losing the fluffiness or softness. Nevertheless, if you are willing to take the risk, you can do so in the following way:
- Remove the Cool Whip from the airtight container and place it in the microwave.
- Select the “Defrost” option and heat it for 30 seconds.
- Give it a quick stir and pop it in for another 30 seconds.
- Repeat the process two more times.
Author’s Note: Unless and until you stir it properly, there are high chances of your Cool Whip turning yellow. So it is necessary to pay attention to your stirring technique.
3. Thawing Cool Whip in a Fridge
If you have some time to spare, you can use this method.
- Remove the Cool Whip container from the freezer and place it in the fridge.
- Leave it to defrost overnight.
- Remove the required Cool Whip and pop it back into the freezer.
4. Thawing Cool Whip at Room Temperature
Placing your Cool Whip container on your countertop is the most natural way of thawing it.
- Remove your Cool Whip from the freezer and place it over a normal plate to avoid any water leakage.
- Put it away from direct sunlight and heat.
- If it is a hot summer afternoon, do not keep it outside for more than one hour.
- If the temperatures are down, it might require 1-2 hours.
Can You Refreeze Cool Whip?
What if you have used the frozen Cool Whip and are still left with some more?
Can you refreeze Cool Whip?
We’d advise against it.
Constantly freezing and thawing Cool Whip will affect its consistency. Moreover, the chances of you feeling a negative change in the taste will certainly put your desserts down the garbage chute.
It is best to buy a new batch of Cool Whip instead.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Cool Whip?
You can use Cool Whip in an array of ways. The following are our most preferred ones:
- Icebox Cake
- Cupcake Frosting
- Dessert Lasagna
Which one are you going to try?
How Do You Know When Cool Whip is Bad?
The absence of proper storage methods can make your cool whip lose its quality.
The first indication would be its changed consistency. You must toss it out as soon as it turns solid.
Another indication could be a rancid smell and taste. You can try a little amount of it to determine its quality. If it tastes off, even to the slightest bit, it is best to throw it away.
Consuming bad cool whip might not cause any health issues, but precaution is always better than cure.
How is Cool Whip Different than Whipped Cream?
You might want to believe that Cool Whip and Whipped Cream are basically the same due to the similarities in terms of appearance.
However, the following pointers will help you understand the differences:
|Points of Difference||Cool Whip||Whipped Cream|
|Ingredients||Contains light cream, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable oil, and skim milk||Contains heavy whipping cream with 30% milkfat|
|Flavor||Sweeter due to the presence of corn syrup||Naturally sweet|
|Texture||Heavy and fluffy||Light and fluffy|
The aforementioned table denotes that Cool Whip is not the best option if you are looking to keep a check on your calories. However, you can let yourself free from the clutches of calorie counting once in a while, can’t you?
But if you want to maintain your health while devouring the desserts, you will find several sugar-free whipped cream options in the market.
How Long Does Cool Whip Last in the Fridge?
With the right freezing and thawing technique, you can preserve Cool Whip for around four months in a freezer. Beyond that, it might lose its fluffiness or texture.
How Long Does Cool Whip Last (Stays Fresh) Outside at Room Temperature?
Avoid keeping Cool Whip outside for more than 2-3 hours. Keeping it outside overnight will affect its taste, quality, and consistency.
Can You Eat Cool Whip Frozen?
Frozen cool whip will have a similar consistency as that of ice cream. If that sounds like your cup of tea, you can consume frozen cool whip. If not, you can use one of the thawing methods to bring it to its normal consistency.
Preserving a cool whip is simple. All you need is an airtight container or bag, and you are good to go!
However, do pay attention to the aforementioned defrosting techniques as well as keep a stringent eye on the day you freeze it. Post the 3-4 months of the window, and you might as well as get a new batch of Cool Whip.
Milburn Adler is a food enthusiast and connoisseur of wine. His area of expertise is food fusions and gourmet foods. He lives to experiment with new recipes every day and spends most of his day looking for fresh and exotic fruits and vegetables.